aSMILE: about us
aSMILE aims to improve consumer, carer and community understanding of mental health diagnosis and hospitalization processes, the psychological issues surrounding mental health, social guidance on financial, legal and employment matters, treatment options, discussion of the medications used to treat mental illness, and management of general physical health including side effects and metabolic syndromes.
Australia has a number of excellent mental health websites, but most are limited to particular types of mental illness, and often only focused on specific age groups or therapeutic program. Since 2006 St Vincent’s Mental Health – Melbourne (SVMH) has actively been involved in promoting a consumer driven care approach. The success of our medication information program and the publication of approximately 45,000 copies of the ‘Psychiatric medication information – A Guide for Patients & Carers” booklet has provided an excellent support foundation for the initial funding from auDA Foundation to develop the framework and contents of aSMILE in Victoria. It will also provide an opportunity for meet the diverse need of our multicultural mental health (CALD) communities.
The proposed framework is compiled by experienced mental health professionals in language that is both accurate and understandable. Topics are designed to enhance consumer, carer and community understanding of mental health recovery approach.
aSMILE is a collaborative, not-for-profit, state-wide mental health project run by St Vincent’s Mental Health (Melbourne). We would especially like to acknowledge:
- The auDA Foundation for funding of the initial development of this website’s framework and contents.
- St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne and St Vincent’s Mental Health for providing high quality information on a range of mental health issues for us to publish on the aSMILE website.
Many people have contributed to the development of this project through research, focus groups, advice, information and ideas. We would like to acknowledge and thank all who have contributed and supported us in our endeavor. They are:
- Victorian Transcultural Mental Health
- Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)
- NEAMI National
- Victorian Mental Illness Fellowship
- Victorian Mental Health Carers Network Inc.
- Vietnamese Mental Health Workers Network (Melbourne)
- St Mary’s House of Welcome
- Western Region Health Centre
- Mid-West Area Mental Health Services (Harvester Clinic)
- Mercy Health (Saltwater Clinic)
- Doutta Galla Community Health
Please Complete aSMILE’s Development Survey via this link: